When you think of the Outer Banks, North Carolina, pristine beaches and sunny skies might come to mind. But what happens when the heavens open up and the rain pours down? Don’t let a little rain dampen your spirits! The Outer Banks has plenty to offer on rainy days, whether you’re in Manteo, Kitty Hawk, Kill Devil Hills, or Nags Head.
Here are some fantastic rainy-day activities in these towns that will keep you entertained and dry:
- Roanoke Island Festival Park:
- Step back in time at this interactive living history site. Explore Elizabeth II, a 16th-century sailing ship, and learn about the history of the Outer Banks.
- North Carolina Aquarium on Roanoke Island: Rainy days are a perfect excuse to dive into the fascinating underwater world. Marvel at marine life, including sharks, sea turtles, and jellyfish.
- The Lost Colony:
- Enjoy a gripping performance at this outdoor drama that tells the story of the first English colony in America, which mysteriously disappeared. Rain won’t stop the show; they move it indoors if necessary.
- Take the kids to Jumpmasters OBX Trampoline Park & Arcade:
- This indoor playground is a great place for kids of all ages to burn off some energy.
- Grab a bite to eat at Poor Richard’s Sandwich Shop:
- This popular spot offers a variety of delicious sandwiches, salads, and sides.
- Learn about aviation history at the Wright Brothers National Memorial: Explore the museum, see full-scale replicas of the Wright brothers’ aircraft, and learn about their historic first flight.
- Unleash your inner adventurer at Kitty Hawk Kites: Rain doesn’t mean you can’t enjoy thrilling activities. Head to Kitty Hawk Kites for indoor adventures like rock climbing and ropes courses.
Kill Devil Hills
- Challenge your wits and problem-solving skills at OB-Xscape Rooms: Rainy days are the perfect excuse to gather your friends or family and work together to solve puzzles and escape.
- Embrace the zen vibes with a yoga class at Outer Banks Yoga: It’s a great way to relax and rejuvenate while staying dry.
- Explore the art scene at Seaside Art Gallery: Browse exquisite works from local and national artists and perhaps find the perfect piece to take home. We also recommend Seagreen Art Gallery in the same town!
- Learn about the unique sand dunes at Jockey’s Ridge State Park Visitor Center: Through interactive exhibits, you can learn about the geology and ecology of the dunes. While you might not be able to fly a kite in the rain, you can still appreciate the natural beauty from indoors.Grab a sweet treat at Surfin’ Spoon Yogurt Bar: This popular frozen yogurt shop offers a variety of flavors and toppings to choose from. Açaí bowls are also available at The Spot!
Here are some additional tips for making the most of your rainy-day Outer Banks vacation:
- Pack for all types of weather: Even if the forecast is sunny, it’s always a good idea to pack an umbrella and a raincoat.
- Be flexible with your plans: Don’t be afraid to change your plans if it’s raining. There are plenty of indoor activities to enjoy.
- Take breaks: If you’re spending a lot of time indoors, be sure to take breaks to get some fresh air.
- Make the most of it: Rainy days can be a great time to relax and unwind. Read a book, watch a movie, or take a nap.
Relax and unwind at a Coastside Vacations Rental Property
After a day filled with rainy-day adventures, you’ll want a cozy and comfortable place to unwind. Coastside Vacations offers a wide range of rental properties in Manteo, Kitty Hawk, Kill Devil Hills, and Nags Head.
Whether you’re looking for a charming cottage or a spacious beach retreat, Coastside Vacations has options to suit your preferences. Their properties provide the perfect sanctuary to relax, recharge, and plan your next day of Outer Banks exploration, rain or shine.
Coastside Vacations has your back with cozy rental properties that will make your rainy days in the Outer Banks just as memorable as the sunny ones.